Thursday 28 January 2010

Diversions


What with the snow and I admit some general lethargy, winter work on our yawl Greta hasn’t been progressing especially well, so I was determined to get some work done at the weekend.

On my morning run, early Saturday I spotted a boat leaving its mooring in Bursledon. There was a perfect, if chilly northerly wind, as the small yacht rounded Lands End Hard they set the genoa to sail off down river. It was before 8 o’clock, the river was peaceful with only the curlews and oyster catchers breaking the silence - perfect winter sailing.

I resisted the temptation to take the dinghy out sailing and knuckled down to some work down at the boat yard. Within a couple of hours I had the rudder off, the prop shaft and cutlass bearing out and ready for a replacement, one of the bigger jobs I planned this winter.

Sunday was busy, I started the day with a slight hangover, then I had to go to Portsmouth to pick up my daughter who had just got back from a ski trip. I think she must have had a bob sleigh in her luggage - it was huge! After that, and making lunch, I managed to get the hull polished and if I say so myself, looking pretty smart. Then it was back home in time to take Joe to the swings in the park.


Anyway there was no wind, but the sun did come out for a while and very nice it was too.

Pictures are of Greta last summer by Eddie Mays

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS - If you would like a reply to your comment please leave your email address

Thanks