Friday 19 October 2012

Teaching your kids to sail

If there is "anything, absolutely anything so much fun as messing around in boats" then it's surely teaching your kids to have fun on the water. You can't start 'em too young.


And there's no reason why you can't take them when they get a little older, daughter Katy is used to sailing on something a bit more substantial but was having a great time out on the river, ducking the boom and hiking out in the gusts.



While her big brother Duncan who normally gets his speed thrills on 2 wheels had developed a big grin and was clearly enjoying his turn on the helm.


6 comments:

  1. fantastic - I heartily agree.

    I LOVE to take my boys sailing on my Sunfish with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you ought to tell readers exactly what boat young Joe is sailing so expertly.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris it's the cradle I built when he was first born, it was build by eye based on a profile drawing of a dinghy I'd seen - probably Atkins Cabin Boy with the floor flattened and widened to accommodate a sleeping baby. It hung from davits in our family room, and he grew out of it pretty quickly - about 8 weeks I think.

    Thought it would be fun to see what it was like on the water now he's older, but it wasn't very stable, not surprisingly.

    An optimist is on the cards for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! My club has an old 420 that one of the very good dinghy sailors that have joined in the last of years fixed up. He had a couple of youngsters join him yesterday, his son and another little boy; he sails with his son a lot, yesterday it was kind of gusty and he said it was actually helpful having another kid on board. They all had a great time, I wish I'd thought to take a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I simply say what a relief to uncover an individual who truly understands what they're discussing on the web. You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people must look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you're not more
    popular given that you surely have the gift.
    My web site > dollar general store

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS - If you would like a reply to your comment please leave your email address

Thanks